Thursday, January 28, 2010

Orphans in Haiti... A complicated issue

Orphans in Haiti
A complicated problem… Here is my random list of thoughts/questions... I don't have the answers, but I just need to get this onto "paper" so I can put my thoughts together in one visual place.

The situation with Haiti's orphans is so complicated, but something HAS to be done... Trying to wrap my head around a ridiculous CNN interview I just watched in which the lady said that adoption is not the answer and that many of the kids will be absorbed back into the community... What does that mean??? They need families!!! There were 380,000 orphans BEFORE the quake... so many more now... And don't tell me the Haitian PM is highly concerned about trafficking... if he was really concerned about that it wouldn't have been such a huge problem in that country before the quake... There is a stronghold here that no one is confronting.

Do I think adoption is the only answer... NO. Do I think the adoption process is even possible right now... NO. Due to the quake, Haiti doesn't even have a government capable of the organization, paperwork, and checks and balances it takes to process adoptions by normal procedures. It will take a loooooooong time for such structure to be put back in place... But time is what these orphans DON'T HAVE! They are scared, hungry, refusing shelter out of their fear of another aftershock. I'm not implying that Haiti can't take care of their own. No, it was a fact before the earthquake that they had 380,000 orphans. The lady in the CNN interview said that nannies are loving on these kids and the community is taking them in... really??? And that's enough???? Why does it seem that we are changing into a generation that is not pro-family. Why is it that the difference in the color of our skin or our nationality seems to be enough reason for Haiti's Prime Minister to deny orphans the shelter, love, care, and real family that we can offer here in the States - or in any other country with families longing to help through adoption?

I don't think a kid needs to have all the toys, food, big rooms, tvs, etc that American children often have. I'm not looking at this as "oh, those poor Haitian kids need to have more entertainment, more clothes, more toys." I am just saying we should be allowed to "rescue the perishing, care for the dying"!!!! and "set the lonely in families".

At the tower of Babel all the people spoke the same language and understood one another. One thing they had was unity. But they sinned in their pride and arrogance and God broke that unity by giving everyone different languages -sending people across the globe, isolated and unable to communicate. Our sin got us to that point. And so we live in an earthly manner divided by nationalities, borders, etc. But in the Spiritual realm there is but one King and one Kingdom. The reason my multi-cultural family "works" is because God ordained us to be family before the foundations of the world. We are a picture of His Kingdom - multicultural and full of love for one another and our similarities and differences.

Haitian authorities have got a lot to consider. I wouldn't want to be the person deciding what child is free to go and what child is not.... But let's just say Haiti takes a look at the adoption agencies around the world who have had legitimate adoption programs with Haiti for the last 5 years. There would several, if not many. And let's say Haiti chose to let 15,000 children who were already orphaned BEFORE the earthquake, be released to these agencies who could then - with appropriate background checks/home studies/etc. place those orphans into families.... Even then - it would only be 15,000.... That's not even a dent in the number of orphans there were before this disaster. But that would be 15,000 lives saved and given hope. Adoption is vital in the endeavor to saving the lives of the Haitian orphans. But it is not the only answer simply because it would be impossible for the vast number of orphans in Haiti to all be adopted. So - what are the other answers??? I don't know. But let's start somewhere. Emergency visas for the young children orphaned before the quake seems like a good place to start.

Today I learned that several Haitian children already matched to families in the US still have not been released to come here. The Haitian PM told them today that even if he signed the papers, he would only be releasing the children to go into Child Services in Florida.... WHAT??? That is crazy. The families have been matched to these kids after great investigation into the parents' ability to care, love and provide for these children. Many of these parents have even traveled to Haiti more than once to visit their children... And now the Haitian PM can declare that even if he releases the children they won't go to the homes chosen for them yet? There is something really wrong going on here. My stomach is in knots over it.

I am saying - no declaring - May those standing in the way of families being united be found guilty in the eyes of the Lord and be shamed for their evil ways. And may those whose hearts are FOR the orphans find themselves in places of favor and decision making so they can make a positive impact on the lives of as many orphans as possible.

It is time to pray, friends. There is a stronghold over these orphans that must be broken by the cries of God's people before it is too late.

I have more to say. I have more to ask. But I'll stop here for now....

12 comments:

Jenn said...

Love your heart and love you Cindy!

On my knees with you and praying that that mountain be moved!

Kay Heikes said...

Amen! Declare it sister. Praying with you.

Cindy Foote said...

Just want to comment that when I wrote last night I was pretty disturbed by the reality facing these orphans... Still am... but want to make clear that I do not know the Haitian PM's heart and he SHOULD be concerned about child trafficking... I just hope he also considers the enormous amount of healthy families who have the heart to take these children in and give them what they need and more... Orphanages are great, but they are not enough. Pro-Family!!!

court garrison said...

Amen sister! Thats all I can say

court garrison said...

I love you Cindy! And all I can really say is AMEN girl! AMEN! Oh Jesus, I see their sweet faces at night when I close my eyes and I pray! Lord, please move!

Jennifer said...

When I visited the Dominican Republic in 2002, we went to an orphanage and had a chance to love on very needy children. The situation with them was that they were forced to live in the orphanage until they reached adulthood--and some of these children were babies. The Dominican government wouldn't allow for them to be adopted because their children had been sold for body parts all over the world before. Fearing this would continue and out of a desire to protect them, the government issued the no-adopt policy. It broke my heart when I heard it and held those precious little ones! I don't know their adoption policy, but it is likely the same has happened with Haiti. Keep encouraging us to pray for this tragedy-torn island. The LORD continue to set this issue ever before our minds and hearts.

Debi said...

Praying for these precious children. I don't understand all of the details of the government regulations of Haiti regarding the orphans.
Here in Portland, the process was expediated to allow at least 4 precious children to come home now.
Praying that many more true orphans would be able to come home to their waiting families.
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

carissa said...

praying, praying, praying. i can't get these gorgeous kids off my mind. it breaks my heart into pieces just thinking about all the devastation they are dealing with at this point. may God move mountains to bring these children into loving families!!!

Debi said...

This is a family http://debraparker.typepad.com/ that I just found out about that is desperately trying to cut through the rediculous red tape to bring thir long awaited and much loved son, Ronel home. Dad is there in Haiti with his son, basically living at the Embassy until they get one last stamp of approval so Ronel can come home. Dad, Ernest is not leaving without his son.
They have a list of Embassadors and Congressmen to contact on their behalf. Maybe when they get sick of hearing from us, they will do something.
Please pray for this family and Ronel and when you get mad enough with this whole system, write a letter or two. I just did before I came here.
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

Alli said...

In Jesus' name, I'm praying for freedom for these orphans! Praying the media would expose the true picture of what is happening and what needs to happen...swift adoption by loving Christian families!

Debi said...

God has answered prayers for the Parkers who are adopting from Haiti. They received a Humanitarian Parole and Ronel will soon be headed home with Ded!
Continue to pray for the many other waiting families.
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

Jason Egly said...

preach it, sista!!!

:)
The Eglys